Update day: 03-11-2023
Category: Administrative / Clerical / Assistant
Industry: International Affairs
Position: Entry level
Job type: Full-time
Job contentJob Description
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP has been working in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development. Together with the
Government of India and development partners, we have worked towards eradicating poverty, reducing
inequalities, strengthening local governance, enhancing community resilience, protecting the environment,
supporting policy initiatives and institutional reforms, and accelerating sustainable development for all.
With projects and programmes in every state and union territory in India, UNDP works with national and subnational
government, and diverse development actors to deliver people-centric results, particularly for the most vulnerable
and marginalized communities. As the integrator for collective action on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
within the UN system, we are committed to supporting the Government of India’s national development vision and
priorities and accelerating the achievement of the SDGs for the people and the planet.
UNDP India’s new Country Programme (2023-2027) builds on our prior work and aims to provide an integrated
Approach To Development Solutions In Three Strategic Portfolios
- Strong, accountable and evidence-led institutions for accelerated achievement of the SDGs.
- Enhanced economic opportunities and social protection to reduce inequality, with a focus on the marginalized.
- Climate-smart solutions, sustainable ecosystems and resilient development for reduced vulnerability.
You are invited to join a team of future-smart development professionals to support India in achieving the national and globally agreed goals. As part of the UNDP team, your focus will be to work with diverse stakeholders to find country-specific solutions that lead to sustainable development and reach those furthest behind first.
UNDP works in almost 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We support countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results. UNDP has worked in India since 1951 in almost all areas of human development, from democratic governance to poverty eradication, to sustainable energy and environmental management. UNDP’s programmes are aligned with national priorities and its projects are designed in consultation with national stakeholders and contribute directly to the Government of India – UNDP Country Programme and the United Nations Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF). UNDP is currently implementing 42 projects with footprints in all the states of India across the following programme areas -poverty reduction, democratic governance, environment and energy supporting the achievement of all the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
UNDP and the Government of Uttarakhand have signed a Memorandum of Understanding that reflects a long-term engagement strategy to support the State to meet the SDGs. The State has prepared specific plans of action with time-bound targets and milestones in discussion with various line departments. UNDP has also entered into partnerships with several state departments and is providing technical support on SDGs, livelihoods Doubling Farmers Income, and rural development among other areas. UNDP is recruiting a Project Assistant to be based in Dehradun, Uttarakhand, to work closely with relevant CSR, Private Sector, government departments, technical agencies, UN agencies, civil society organizations and academic institutions to provide the requisite impetus to the state government’s initiative in rolling out the SDGs and accelerating economic growth.
Duties And Responsibilities
Support the project team to ensure effective project planning and implementation
- Assist in compiling and summarizing information and data for the formulation of project work plans. In consultation with project team, draft annual/quarterly budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements, and on other specific project related topics or issues.
- Support project implementation in accordance with the project documents, annual work plans and other agreements between UNDP and responsible partners. Review project documents for completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures and identify inconsistencies for referral to supervisor. Compile, summarize and present basic information/data on a specific project and related topics or issues;
- Contribute to and support data collection for gender analysis and gender mainstreaming at the project level.
- Provide administrative and logistical support to ensure successful project delivery that includes organization/coordination of project events, procurement and finance-related activities, contract management, recruitment, and coordination of field visits and project-related missions.
- Establish and maintain contacts and cooperation with the relevant UN Agencies, government institutions, and other partners and relevant stakeholders. Provide support in updating database of the relevant public and development partners, and other stakeholders who are counterparts for the project.
- Support regular communication with partners, project counterparts, stakeholders, and beneficiaries.
- Support dissemination of high-quality information and visibility of the project activities among the stakeholders.
- Monitor project budget, financial resources, and accounting for effective and transparent use of available resources and to ensure accuracy and reliability of data/information used in financial reports.
- Participate in training on internal procedures for the project staff and provide support to the organization of training and other capacity building activities as needed.
- Maintain organized records of project data, field activities, case studies, human-interest stories, photographs, and other relevant documents that can be drawn upon in support of knowledge sharing and advocacy.
- Preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
- Coordination of travel arrangements, including purchase of tickets, DSA calculations, PO preparation, arrangement of shipment/courier
- Support procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals
- Support the organization of progress meetings, field, and study visits to monitor project implementation and support organization of workshops, roundtables, and conferences within the project.
- Support with protocol matters, coordination with local authority on space and other administrative matters.
- Management of cash receipts and petty cash as required.
- Maintenance of the proper filing system for finance, HR and procurement records and documents.
- Training of staff on administrative procedures
- Briefing/debriefing of staff members on issues relating to area of work
- Preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual financial reports for donor
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system for voucher processing, posting and recording are matched and completed.
- Timely closure of accounts
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Timely response to CO requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Implementation of HR processes in State Office as applicable including support to contract management
- Coordination of assets management in the state office, timely preparation and submission of periodic inventory reports.
- Coordination of the provision of reliable and quality office supplies
- Implementation of supplier selection and evaluation
- Recording receipt of goods in ERP towards the delivery of the goods/services
Direct Reporting To1:State Head, Uttarakhand, NPSA 9
Overall Reporting To2:Chief Advisor, SDG Acceleration Unit, NOD
Reportees to this position (if applicable):NA
Achieve Results: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
Think Innovatively: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
Learn Continuously: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Working with Evidence and Data - Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions, and supporting decision-making
Digital Awareness and Literacy - Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
Customer Satisfaction/Client Management - Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
Communication - Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels.
Monitoring - Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and programme performance and results
Finance - Budget management
Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
Administration & Operations
Event Management - Support projects with event management including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education required.
- University degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in Development Studies, Public Administration or Business Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field will be given due consideration but is not a requirement.
- Minimum of 5 years (with Secondary education) or 2 years (with bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible administrative or project experience is required
- Experience in supporting implementation of large-scale Government/Donor funded projects is an asset.
- Experience in research and policy-level analysis, including in formulation, monitoring and evaluation of strategies and development programmes/projects is an asset.
- Exposure to state Planning Processes and annual budgeting exercise of the government.
- Experience in coordination with stakeholders is an asset
- Adequate experience of drafting Project Proposals including monitoring tools such as log frame among other is an asset
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in the use of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and web-based management systems, and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Experience in preparation of financial reports and overviews
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation tools
- Knowledge of project management processes
- Knowledge of procurement procedures of national / international organizations
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Important information for US Permanent Residents (’Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant Information About UNDP Rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 26-12-2023🌏 Dehradun, Uttarakhand
⏰ 21-12-2023🌏 Roorkee, Uttarakhand
⏰ 14-12-2023🌏 Haridwar, Uttarakhand
⏰ 26-12-2023🌏 Dehradun, Uttarakhand