Location: Chennai Tamil Nadu
Category: Finance / Bank / Stock
Industry: Financial Services
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The World Bank Group (WBG) is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses its financial resources and extensive experience to help its client countries reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the WBG is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Innovation and partnership are central to the five institutions of the WBG: The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA), which together form the World Bank; the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
Unit Overview – WFA
The World Bank Group Finance & Accounting (WFA) Vice Presidential Unit is responsible for all aspects of the corporate reporting and internal control framework for the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA) and the extensive Trust Fund/Partnership portfolio of these entities. WFA also leads the client shared service function for the WBG corporate expenses and WBG trust funds, ensures fiduciary responsibility for all disbursements related to Bank operations.
Organizationally, WFA is comprised of four functional areas: (1) Corporate Accounting and Reporting; (2) WFA Trust Funds & Loans; (3) WBG Financial Control; and (4) WBG Finance and Accounting, Chennai. These units report directly to the WBG Controller who heads the WFA Vice Presidency.
Overview – WFACC
The Chennai team (WFACC) of the Corporate Reporting and Analysis (WFACR) division contributes to the analysis of the financial results and the preparation of statutory and management reports of IBRD and IDA. WFACR also accounts for IBRD’s capital transactions, approval of IDA capital transactions, and corresponds with the member countries on queries related to capital transactions and balances.
WFACC is a dynamic team of accounting and finance professionals, which together with the team in Washington D.C., is responsible for all aspects of IBRD and IDA’s financial reporting. This includes: quarterly/annual financial statements and management discussion and analyses, business unit accounting oversight responsibilities (loans, cash, borrowings, investments, trust funds, pension, and administrative expenses) including review and analysis of key metrices, monthly closing of IBRD and IDA’s ledgers, preparation and review of the monthly trial balances, and other ad hoc deliverables. The team also handles all aspects of IBRD’s capital accounting framework and the approval function of all IDA capital accounting transactions. The team’s roles and responsibilities provide a holistic understanding of the financial dynamics of IBRD and IDA, which places the team in a strong position to be able to assess the impact of market and institutional developments on the results of the two entities.
Financial Analyst will participate in the areas responsible for:
- Preparing internal and external financial statements / reports and other management reports for IBRD and IDA
- Coordination of monthly closing process for the decentralized business units of the Bank
- Maintaining the capital accounts for IBRD / IDA
Analyzing financial results and balances for reasonableness as part of oversight responsibilities
Participation in WFA projects and preparation of ad-hoc financial analysis for senior management.
Duties also include
Examples of specific accountabilities:
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements including Management Discussion & Analysis, Flash reports to the President, Information Statements and Annual Report
- Work closely with assigned business units to ensure timely and accurate monthly close process including reviewing and approving adjusting entries if needed
- Develop and apply analytical methodologies to test and explain changes in financial trends and results, including validating the monthly trial balance.
- Monthly Trial Balance close process for IBRD/IDA
- Maintain the Financial ledgers for IBRD/ IDA capital; approving transactions relating to processing of capital, leading to generation of accounting for the same and monthly closing of books of IBRD/IDA capital. Prepare/review of communication with IBRD’s member countries.
- Participate in the implementation of new features or enhancements to existing accounting systems
- Documentation and maintenance of processes, controls and checks for financial reporting
- Strive to redefine processes, ideate and contribute to value-add activities leading to efficiency gains
- Performing other responsibilities assigned from time to time.
- Chartered Accountant degree required. Bachelors / advanced degree in a related field will be a plus.
- Basic knowledge of financial instruments and financial markets
- Minimum of 3 years of post-qualification experience in similar or complementary roles is required
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Windows applications, namely Excel, Word and Power Point. Demonstrated ability to learn new technology quickly and effectively use it for maximum productivity. Knowledge of SAP and Financial Reporting tools will be an advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills. The ability to develop and apply methodologies to test and explain changes in financial trends and results using computer assisted techniques.
- Strong interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Comfortable working in pressured environment with capacity to deliver high-quality outputs and results to tight deadlines
- Ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams and
- High degree of self-motivation and proven ability to work under minimum supervision and as part of a team.
WBG Core Competencies
- Deliver results for clients – Contributes to delivery of results for clients on complex issues. Sets challenging goals that align with the WBG mission and is always looking to improve. Understands clients’ most pressing challenges and contributes to solutions. Takes personal responsibility for producing high quality work, identifying and informing of risks, and delivering results for clients.
- Collaborate within teams and across boundaries - Keeps others fully informed to ensure integration. Approaches conflicts as common problems to be solved. Seeks and listens to input from others to inform own decision making and openly shares information. Frames thinking/actions with a WBG corporate perspective in mind.
- Lead and innovate – Brings new and different insight. Applies critical thinking to current approaches, identifies areas for improvement, and tries new solutions that drive results. Considers own behavior in context of WBG’s values and mission and recognizes impact one has on others. Operates in ambiguity and changing needs and supports others to do the same.
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Actively contributes to and readily applies WBG’s body of knowledge for internal and/or external client solutions. Contributes to the departments and WBG’s body of knowledge by applying lessons learned and expertise. Actively invests in own knowledge and seeks feedback. Builds personal and professional networks within and beyond the work group.
- Make Smart Decisions - Leverages available data and makes timely decisions. Seeks and analyzes facts, data and lessons of past experience to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work. Applies cost/benefit analysis to meet work program objectives. Contributes to decision making by providing relevant risk-analysis. Shows initiative when necessary and makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility.
WFA Functional Competencies
- Client Understanding and Advising – Applied-Solid understanding and consistent ability to apply the competency in most situations. Looks at issues from the client’s perspective and takes action beyond normal expectations to ensure client satisfaction. Analyses situations and determines alternative or creative scenarios and approaches to add value to the business in new and different ways. Works within the team and with other specialty areas to define client needs and develop the best approach to meet client needs. Sees how ideas and best practices from other specialties can be adapted or applied to address client issues.
- Broad Business Thinking – Maintains an in-depth understanding of the long-term implications of decisions both for department and the client’s business. Ensures that decisions are supported by relevant stakeholders as well as sound performance data. Effectively communicates recommended changes to clients and how they will affect their business using the client’s own terminology with limited jargon while attempting to minimize day-to-day disruption of operations.
- Project Management – Develops and implements realistic and achievable work plans for group or project team – including tasks, priorities, resources and schedules. Establishes priorities, identifies critical tasks, and pushes projects forward in a timely fashion. Establishes controls to detect problems early and notify those involved if deadlines are affected. Creates opportunities and solutions that address more difficult or abstract situations. Creates and adapts solutions to address unusual data or novel situations.
- Analytical Thinking – Determines criteria for assessing issues and opportunities. Establishes clear goals and priorities needed to assess performance. Identifies relationships and linkages between different information sources. Anticipates issues that are not clear on the surface. Identifies root causes and effects. Establishes clear goals and priorities. Anticipates potential problems and develops solutions needed to resolve them. Systemically analyzes relationships between apparently independent problems and issues. Reviews and cross-reviews reports. Identifies trends as well as isolated events. Translates analytical reports into management presentations and provides guidance to resolve issues. Anticipates the possible outcome of potential solutions. Identifies areas of significant concern or opportunity. Probes and initiates research to identify critical problems.
Policies and Procedures – Seek out opportunities to further understanding of relevant policies and guidance. Identify areas for improvements in existing policies and procedures. Emulate best practices in completing own work program. Provides guidance to junior staff and plays a role in transferring skills and knowledge to others.
- Risks and Controls – Demonstrate understanding of key risks and internal control procedures in the related processes. Able to identify key risks and mitigating control steps in own functional areas. Perform internal control procedures in compliance with the overall risk and control framework. Takes proactive measures to know the internal control procedures (e.g., talks with business leaders about their goals and priorities).
- Information Technology and Systems – Leverage information technology systems and applications to improve productivity and efficiency. Provide inputs to IT system enhancement efforts based on day to day working experience and knowledge of the systems.
Communication– Utilize appropriate tools and techniques to explain technical information in plain language. Present information in a logical and organized manner both in speech and in writing. Writes effective correspondence, prepares questions and reports, statements of circumstance and briefing notes.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at theWorld BankandIFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Click to apply for free candidate
⏰ 11-04-2023🌏 Chennai, Tamil Nadu
⏰ 29-04-2023🌏 Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu
💸 ₹14,500 - ₹17,000 a month⏰ 23-04-2023🌏 Chennai, Tamil Nadu
⏰ 23-04-2023🌏 Chennai, Tamil Nadu
💸 ₹25,000 - ₹35,000 a month⏰ 28-04-2023🌏 Chennai, Tamil Nadu
⏰ 27-04-2023🌏 Chennai, Tamil Nadu
⏰ 30-04-2023🌏 Erode, Tamil Nadu
💸 ₹27,000 - ₹33,000 a month⏰ 27-04-2023🌏 Chennai, Tamil Nadu
⏰ 20-04-2023🌏 Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
⏰ 27-04-2023🌏 Chennai, Tamil Nadu